Position involves inpatient draws and draws on patients of all ages, newborn through geriatric,including a busy emergency department. Average draws per individual in around 35-60 drawsper day depending on patient census.
- Work under the supervision of the Lead Technologist Assistant.
- Under general supervision, contributes to the quality of patient diagnosis and treatmentby timely and accurate collection and processing of physician ordered tests.
- Draws patient blood samples and brings the specimens to the Laboratory for processing.
- Centrifuges, separates, and distributes the specimens to the appropriate sections.
- Utilizes the Laboratory computer to log, edit, cancel, receive and print physician testrequests.
- Assists the Lead Technologist Assistant by taking inventory, restocking supplies andreceiving specimens.
- Maintains a clean, organized and fully stocked tray and work area.
- Assists the Lead Technologist Assistant by training new assistants and performing otherduties as needed.
- Attends continuing education classes or training classes.
- Adheres to the established Hospital safety standards by following safety procedures andreporting any unsafe conditions to the supervisor or department head.
- Apply the Hospital’s Policies and Procedures regarding guest relations.
- Should be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide careappropriate to the age of the patient served.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Diploma from a phlebotomy program – certificate from training does not suffice
- Current BLS/Healthcare Provider status as per American Heart Association standards
- One year of experience working in an acute care setting as a phlebotomist